A HOLD gives a merchant a 6 digit authorization / approval code. This code guarantees that the funds will be available for a certain time frame; thus the customer cannot make any other purchases that deplete the merchant’s ability to collect on those funds.
Transactions that are on Hold, will remain on Hold within PayJunction up to 6 days. The transaction will be automatically voided on the 7th day.
Funds for transactions that are processed as an Authorization (aka "Hold") will be guaranteed for a particular amount of time. Ultimately, it is entirely up to the card-issuing bank as to how long they will guarantee that funds will be available for that transaction.
Typically, the following rules apply, but it is ultimately up to each card-issuing bank:
Credit Cards - Funds may be guaranteed for up to 21 days.
Debit Cards - Funds may be guaranteed for up to 2-3 days.
If you process a transaction as a Hold, and you update it to Capture on a later date, then there is a possibility that those funds will no longer be guaranteed by the card-issuing bank . Therefore, it is possible that the card will be declined at that time. If this is the case, the card will need to be reprocessed.
PayJunction is not responsible for expired authorizations and approval codes.
- Click on the Batches button.
- Click on the eyeball icon to the left of your Current Unsettled Batch.
- Then, select the transaction you would like to change from HOLD to CAPTURE by clicking the same eyeball icon on the left side of the blue HOLD icon. If you prefer, you can also roll over the eyeball icon, then click the View Transaction option.
- On the next screen, click the Capture button at the top.
- You will now see the status bar on the top change to green and Approved and Capture which means the funds are going to be deposited into your bank account.